by callmemellowyellow | Apr 2, 2019 | Inspiration, Mindset, Personal Growth, Win
Watch this brilliant episode by WP Elevation legends Simon Kelly and Troy Dean, from the series ‘The 10 Commandments of Freelancing’, where Troy and Simon explore the idea that saying no to things can present even bigger and better opportunities.
Commandment #2 Thou shalt learn to say NO
First up here is the full Silence is Golden Episode that is totally worth watching in full. If you don’t have 27 mins now scroll down to the short version.
00:42 When you say yes to someone else’s agenda you’re actually saying no to a lot of things on your own agenda so when an opportunity comes your way you want to make sure that that opportunity actually aligns with your bigger goals.
Jim Rohn famously said: “If you don’t design your own life plan you will fall into someone else’s.” and guess what they have planned for you – not much!
If you’re not living intentionally and doing the things that are on your agenda it’s like being bounced around like a pinball in a pinball machine just responding to everyone else kind of whacking you about …
I say no to everything except what is in my schedule for the day. (Troy)
Just because you know how to help someone and they have no money doesn’t mean you’re obliged to actually help them
Stop being helpful and start being impactful!
Some of the things that you can do to help you say no: having a bigger yes, right like you have the right kind of project to work on or the right kind of client
You can’t be everything to everyone and it’s easy to say NO when there is a bigger YES.
You getting absolute clarity about your perfect client is essential and a lot of that comes down to your vision and your Why.
Your business exists because you want to have an impact in the world, right …
… life is short, and there is no dress rehearsal so don’t waste your time between when you’re born and when you die ……. you can spend that time wisely and have an impact on the world.
What impact do you want to have?
“I imagine a world where ….” (fill in the blanks)
Get clarity around your vision
Get clarity about who you want to help, your perfect client
Answer 3 questions:
- Who: that’s your ideal client
- What: that’s your sweet spot, what do you actually, do for your clients in order to bring your vision to life;
- The other What is the mission that you’re on over the next 12 months – what mission are you on over the next 12 months in order to bring your vision to life?
What does freedom mean to you? Simon: Freedom to me means the ability to manage the time and the activities that I do with my life exactly how I want. yeah!
Dan Kennedy has got a great saying: “Work with people you like on projects you enjoy for the fees you deserve because life is too short to do otherwise!
Bill Murray also says: Life is short so do shit that makes you happy!
by callmemellowyellow | Apr 1, 2019 | Inspiration, Mindset, Personal Growth
1st April, Monday, New Week, New Month –
We are in the third phase of the waning moon, with a new moon on 5th April.
The waning moon helps to let go …
And the new moon is the perfect time for beginning new projects.
Before we’ve let go from the old and what doesn’t serve us any longer we cannot start to focus and dedicate ourselves fully to new beginnings. Which car owner would ever think of pouring new oil on top of old year after year?
So this week’s focus is letting go. The waning moon helps with that. Even with household (cleaning, polishing, washing), or throwing out stuff that has been accumulating, doing it during waning moon is much more successful and problem-free than when the moon is waxing (growing).
Get clear on what serves you no longer, what doesn’t make you feel good, what holds you back.
Let go of regrets.
- Find a place where you will be undisturbed for half an hour.
- Get still and quiet. Breath in and out a few times, slowly and deeply.
- Take a notebook and write down your thoughts and feelings.
- What is your biggest challenge right now?
- What has been making you feel less/different than how you want to feel in the last week? in the last month? in the last 3 months?
- What can you change?
- What can you not change?
Remember the serenity prayer?
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, And wisdom to know the difference.
Keep this prayer in mind, every day.
Then start the process of letting go. Decide and commit to letting go. Forgive yourself for what you have done wrong. Forgive your loved ones for what they have done wrong. Everyone always does the best they can in any given moment. So did you. You might have lost your way sometimes, you might have forgotten who you really are.
But today is a new beginning.
“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people will not feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone and as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give others permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
A Return to Love: Reflections on the Principles of "A Course in Miracles" (1992)
I repeat: who are you not to be? Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people will not feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine. It is in everyone – and as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give others permission to do the same, and our presence automatically liberates others.
What's this got to do with websites, I hear you ask?
Well, your websites represents YOU.
So the clearer and nearer you are to your Greatness,
the easier it is gonna be to build your website and show yourself to the world.
First Things First!
by callmemellowyellow | Nov 29, 2018 | Business, Business Growth, Inspiration, Marketing
I’m listening to Seth Godin “Marketing – You can’t be seen until you learn to see” on audible (what a great way to get away from the screen and rest my eyes while still being ‘productive’ – I listened while walking here)
walking on the ancient walls of Lucca, Tuscany
and I loved this bit so much that I want to share it with you right now. Seth is actually quoting Bernadette Jiwa here, another interesting person to read.
10 things that good stories do:
- Connect us to our purpose and vision for our career and business
- Allow us to celebrate our strength by remembering how we got from there to here
- Deepen our understanding of our unique value and what differentiates us in the marketplace
- Reinforce our core values
- Help us to act in alignment and make value-based decisions
- Encourage us to respond to customers instead of react to the marketplace
- Attract customers that want to support businesses that reflect or represent their values
- Build brand loyalty and give customers a story to tell
- Attract the kind of like-minded employees we want
- Help us to stay motivated and continue to do work we are proud of
How inspiring is this?!
Have you written your story yet?
Here is another great worksheet to start you off if you haven’t already done it – go to Bernadette Jiwa’s website and sign up https://thestoryoftelling.com/blog/ to unlock the magic of your story! Do it!
And share your story with us! Love to read your comments below.
Your emails are safe with me. This is only if you want to get some stuff that works for me from time to time. I'm always working to make the world a better place, starting with myself.
by callmemellowyellow | Nov 26, 2018 | Inspiration, Mindset, Personal Growth
Today I want to share this post with you, by Tad Hargrave, Marketing for Hippies.
To read the whole article click here.
Here is Tad’s list:
Here are fifteen quick thoughts on the way out of that situation (and I welcome your additions to it). This list is far from exhaustive but it’s a good start:
- extreme self care practices: this is a time to get into physical shape, meditate, journal – whatever helps you feel stronger, more directed, more full – do it. When you’re in a financial crisis, it’s easy to cut your self care out but it’s actually the most important thing to boost. The better you feel about your self the better you can do all of these other steps.
- clean up your home and office: nothing signals fresh start like clearing out a space. Do a massive purge and clean. You will feel amazing and full of energy after you do it. You will feel energized about handling your money. And, every morning when you wake up and see it, your environment will inspire you to stay on track. Clean it and keep it clean.
- eliminate what’s draining your energy: this is huge. There are likely certain people, situations and dynamics that are draining your energy and, when you’re in crisis, having your energy drained is not an option. It’s time to say ‘no’ to anything that is sucking your energy. This can be a time where you need to take space from certain friends and family. There are things you are ‘tolerating‘ that take so much more out of you than you can imagine.
- stop wasting time: do you spend too much time on facebook, surfing the net, watching TV? Consider going on a fast from those things or giving yourself a hard limit of 30-60 minutes a day.
- ask for any money that is owed to you: do you have friends or clients who owe you money? This is a good time to follow up on that.
- get a part time job: for some reason, this feels like failure to a lot of people. But it’s not. Sometimes you just need to get a job to tide yourself over. And sometimes people realize that being an entrepreneur isn’t for them. Which is a huge relief. I’ve seen a number of clients let go of their ideas about being self employed, go back to a job and watched them experience an immediate increase in happiness, financial stability and overall well being. Getting a job when you need it isn’t failure, it’s self care. And sometimes it’s just a matter of timing and you need to get a job and slowly build your business on the side until it’s at a point you can invest more.
- get out of any commitments you can to free up time: this is also huge. Are you on a board or committee that isn’t 100% filling you up? Are you volunteering somewhere? Look at where you’re spending your time and eliminate anything you possibly can that isn’t a 100% ‘yes’ to you.
- set a goal and create a plan to make money (and start with the low hanging fruit): sit down with a pen and paper and give yourself an hour or two to really get clear on what your goal is around money and how you can best achieve it. Is it to get a job? Do a major promotion of some product or service? If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
- set aside chunks of each day where all you focus on is making money and growing your business: it’s easy to make a plan and then not do the plan. Set aside time (one hour a day, four hours a day or one day a week) where all you’re focused on is making your plan happening. Allow zero distractions during that time – cell phone off. Social media off. Lock the door. Focus. Most people are blown away with how productive they are when they do this.
- get support: this is so huge. Maybe you need to hire a coach. Maybe you need to get a friend of colleague who you can chat with once a week to stay accountable. Maybe you need to get some kind of to do list manager. Maybe you need to read a marketing book. Maybe you need to trade with a friend for web design. Whatever support you need, it’s time to get honest with yourself about that and get it. And you might want to consider therapy around money too. If this has been a lifelong struggle, there’s a good chance there are some deeper issues worth facing. Dealing with money issues might just be the most powerful personal development work you ever do.
- brainstorm on how to cut expenses: can you move to a cheaper place? eat in more? ride your bike vs. driving your car? Where can you trim expenses in your life? Most people would be shocked at how much they can save with a little thought and creativity.
- stop working on creating more free content: unless they are a direct lead into your products or services. It’s easy to want to keep creating more free content (like me here on this blog when I should be working on my Niching for Hippies program (#doasisaynotasido)).
- focus: speaking of niching – pick one and focus on it. When you’re in a crunch is not the time to try and ‘reach everyone’. You absolutely need to focus on something in particular that you’re offering to a particular crowd of people. And it’s a good idea to focus on just a few marketing approaches and really work them. Maybe all you do is public speaking. Maybe it’s all virtual presentations and webinars. Maybe it’s networking events or hosting events. Whatever it is, I wouldn’t have more than three marketing tactics you’re using. When you’re in a crisis, you need to focus.
- create a higher end product: My colleague George Huang created a six figure income in 72 days using five simple steps to fill up his high end coaching program. You can read about them here.
connect with hubs: And how do you promote and get clients for your programs and products? You need a way to not only identify but then keep track of potential partners and hubs you come across. Unless you want to be stuck at the ‘cold’ level of marketing you must start thinking about your hubs. And then I recommend connecting with one hub a day getting to know them, what they do, how you can help them and how they might be able to help you. Just ask them out for coffee or to skype to chat and ask their advice on how you should grow your business.
What other ideas and insights do you have here? If you’ve gotten yourself from being broke to having money, what did you do?
by callmemellowyellow | Nov 23, 2018 | Inspiration, Mindset
Winners do not do the extremely difficult tasks well; rather, they do the simple tasks extremely well. Most importantly, they do them!
Let’s get straight to the point.
This is day 3, chapter 3, law 3 of Bodo Schäfer’s 30 Winners Laws.
Would you like to earn more money? If so, you must increase your value in the market. The best way to do this is to concentrate on the IPA’s (Income-Producing Activities). Pareto had already discovered that 80 percent of our earnings arises from 20 percent of our activities. That means that we waste 80 percent of our time or else we use it in a less than optimal manner.
What is the magic 20 percent in your job that gives rise to 80 percent of all of the results? Many salespeople degrade themselves to living room clowns because they do not trust themselves to ask the decisive last question that will close the deal. Many employees work hours on end to make an even better filing system. Many bosses do the work of their staff and it is always at the cost of the activities that would really bring in turnover and profit. There are only a few tasks and activities in any job that determine the level of your income, which is why you should do them as often as possible. Surprisingly enough, IPA’s are usually not difficult. On the whole, you will determine that winners do not do the extremely difficult tasks well; rather, they do the simple tasks extremely well. Most importantly, they do them!
You are paid for the value you bring to the marketplace. Mind you, I am not talking about your worth as a father or mother nor as a partner, friend, colleague, or person. I am referring to the worth that you bring to the market. You will only be paid for that.
The only people who don’t make mistakes are the ones who do … nothing.
- Reflect on how you spent your time yesterday. How much time did you dedicate to your IPAs?
- Ask yourself what you can do to concretely spend more of your time working in the areas that determine your income
- Understand that perfectionism is often only a decision to hesitate – it’s better to begin by making errors than to hesitate with perfection.
- Therefore concentrate on doing tasks faster rather than doing them perfectly.
You can get the book and audiobook on Amazon.
This completes our three-day setup – start thinking and acting like a winner.
If you liked this little series and would like to join the Winners Mastermind Group to continue working the laws together subscribe below.
Develop your winners muscles!
Stay motivated, stay on track!
by callmemellowyellow | Nov 21, 2018 | Inspiration, Mindset, Personal Growth
Are you a procrastinator? Do you often get stressed out about deadlines? Do you get frustrated with yourself because you still haven’t done what you intended to do days/weeks/months ago? Here is what the doctor prescribes …
Let’s begin with a little story:
A man went to see the doctor because he was frequently feeling tired and lethargic. The burden of his tasks really seemed to crush him. All of the things he had to get done constantly ran through his head. There seemed to be no end to it. The tasks that he did not want to do at all seemed to weigh on him the most. A little while ago he started suffering from heartburn. At night he was discomfited by insomnia and during the day he was plagued by fatigue. His selfconfidence was very low and he became more and more depressed.
The doctor was a wise man. He diagnosed his patient with acute “procrastinitis.” This man postponed doing everything instead of getting the unpleasant tasks done immediately. For that reason, the doctor prescribed “A.S.A.P.” (As Soon As Possible) to be taken every morning.
(from Bodo Schäfer’s “The Law of the Winners”)
As Soon As Possible – The second law of winners
There is a difference between what is significant and what is urgent.
The longer we procrastinate doing what is important, the more critical it becomes.
It also begins to weigh more on us and, at the same time we start to feel worse and worse. This applies not only to what is important but also to what is relatively inconsequential. Even the incidental tasks turn into monsters because of their urgency.
Tasks burden us until they are accomplished. When you shirk from doing the unpleasant ones, then exactly what you want to avoid happening will occur: The tasks will begin to torture and oppress you.
A secret of winners is that they make the important things in life incredibly urgent. They accomplish everything a.s.a.p.
Has it ever happened that you have taken upon yourself to do something and you still did not do it? You will probably admit that this has probably occurred at one time or another. You may have determined with frustration that you are not a very disciplined person.
In fact, however, you have only not adhered to the 72-hour rule. This rule states that you take concrete action on your intentions within 72 hours. If you do not, then the chances of you ever acting on that intention will be one in ninety-nine. It is as if we cannot make our mind believe that we truly intend to do something if we do not begin a.s.a.p. If our mind does not believe something, it will not take it seriously and consequently forget about it.
In order to ensure that your subconscious takes an intention seriously and remembers it, you must make sure that it arrives in your central nervous system.
It will only get there, however, if you give a concrete order.
Your motivation to give that first decisive impulse to action will decline with each hour that you wait.
Make decisions as quickly as possible.
Many people are not aware that they are in fact making a decision when they “do not decide.” They have chosen to leave everything the way it is. Nevertheless, many individuals maintain that they can decide just as well at a later stage.
A good way is to imagine your goal on an escalator. It is constantly moving – it distances itself from you. If you hesitate to make that decision, your goal is possibly already out of hands reach. Therefore, waste as little precious time as possible.
Our time is fast moving and if you want to be successful, then you must be quicker than the others. How quick? As soon as possible! In the economy of today, the following applies: It is not the large that devour the small; rather it is the quick that swallow up the slow. Success is performance divided by time.
Do not do everything at once. However, you must make a start. And, you must do so as quickly as possible. For that reason, make it incredibly urgent to begin everything that is important a.s.a.p.
So here are the 4 steps for today to become unstuck and start acting like a winner:
- In the morning I will ask myself, ” What do I not like doing?“ These are the tasks that I will tackle first. I will do this so that the unpleasant tasks do not start to burden me unnecessarily. The quicker I finish, the better my day will be because then I will only have pleasant tasks ahead.
- The next question I will ask myself this morning is, “What is my most important task today?” I will immediately begin to tackle it and not let myself be distracted by anything until that objective is accomplished. Even if I do not accomplish anything else today, I will know that I have accomplished the most important task.
- I will ask myself: ” What can I change in my life so that I have more time for important duties instead of having to take care of tasks which have become urgent?“
- Whatever I decide to undertake, I will begin doing it within 72 hours. I will at least take the first step. I will make a sport of surprising everyone with my quickness. I will act today according to the principle of a.s.a.p.
(All excerpts are from Bodo Schäfer’s “The Law of the Winners”)
- If you’d like to keep going with these little gems I am sharing here please subscribe to the blog. (the link will take you to the blog page, please scroll to the bottom to subscribe)
- Let’s do this together! What do you think about joining a ‘Winners Mastermind Group‘? I find it easier to stay on course when I have an accountability partner. In the ‘Winners Mastermind Group’ we will go through the 30 Laws of Winners together – meet once a week (online) to share our progress and our sticking points, support each other, and have some fun!
- Please leave your comments below.
Develop your winners muscles!
Stay motivated, stay on track!